Press "Enter" to skip to content

Apple Denies the Return of Epic Games Fortnite to Apple Stores

Tim Sweeney, Chief Executive Officer of Epic Games announced on Wednesday that Apple informed the Fortnite owner that the video game will be blacklisted from the iPhone maker’s App Store for several years until all the court appeals are done. According to the court’s filing, the Epic Games’ opening brief in its appeal to the U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals is due Dec. 12.

The iPhone Maker’s reply is due by Jan. 20, 2022. The full appeal process could take years.Sweeney tweeted on Wednesday announcing Apple’s move and said the company will continue to fight the tech giant. Tim Sweeney tweeted that this is another extraordinary anti-competitive move by Apple, demonstrating their power to reshape markets and choose winners and losers.

The iPhone maker confirmed the authenticity of the letter that Sweeney shared, but declined to comment further. Apple has not yet said whether it will ask for the injunction to be paused pending the appeal process. The U.S. tech giant is facing a raft of legal and regulatory challenges to rules it forces game makers to follow, including the closely watched antitrust lawsuit brought by Epic Games.

Earlier this month, a U.S. federal judge struck down some of Apple’s App Store rules, forcing the company to allow developers to send their users to other payment systems in a partial win for Epic Games and other app makers.

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *